Friday, September 19, 2008

Using TextMate for LaTeX documents

One of the things that I really wanted to learn is using TextMate for writing and compiling LaTeX documents.
The first place that I looked up for help was Haris Skiadas' blog. Haris is doing a great job in supporting the use of the TextMate editor for writing LaTeX documents. I was not wrong as I found three relevant screencasts there. After googling for a while, I also found a great blog entry titled "Setting up LaTeX on Mac OS X" and I followed its instructions. After installing pdfsync and Skim, I was able to re-compile, view and change a previously created LaTeX project (including BibTeX entries!) that included both Greek and Latin characters.

I am copying the following extremely useful information from the aforementioned blog post:

For enabling the integration of TextMate and Skim you need to use the pdfsync package by including \usepackage{pdfsync} in the preamble of your document. With pdfsync enabled you can press ⌃⌥⌘O (or use the bundle’s “Show in PDFViewer (pdfsync) command”) to jump to the matching place in the PDF file. Vice versa, when pressing Shift-Command-clicking on a location inside Skim, TextMate is showing the matching paragraph in the LaTeX source.

So, as far as writing and compiling LaTeX (and HTML) documents using TextMate, the case is closed!

Note: I have installed LaTeX using the i-installer LaTeX package. The place that I put the pdfsync.sty file is: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/pdfsync/pdfsync.sty.

No comments: